school age animal experience
After-School Safari participants will have a unique opportunity to experience The Zoo after-hours! These 1-hour after-school programs offer children a chance to interact closely with a variety of zoo animals, including goats, sheep, pigs, chickens, ferrets, rabbits, snakes, lizards, parrots, insects, and more, while also participating in science, literacy, and art cross-hatched lessons. This is a drop-off program. Adults are welcome to walk around The Zoo or explore Forest Park for the duration of the program, or leave and return at the designated pick-up time and location.
Ages: 6 to 13
Cost per class:
Thursday, September 12, 2019, 4 p.m. to 5 p.m.: Enrichment
Thursday, September 19, 2019, 4 p.m. to 5 p.m.: Backyard Buddies (Native species)
Thursday, September 26, 2019, 4 p.m. to 5 p.m.: Poo at The Zoo
Thursday, October 10, 2019, 4 p.m. to 5 p.m.: Bug Club
Thursday, October 17, 2019, 4 p.m. to 5 p.m.: What’s on the Menu? (Omnivores, Carnivores, and Herbivores)
Thursday, October 24, 2019, 4 p.m. to 5 p.m.: Food Web
Thursday, November 7, 2019, 4 p.m. to 5 p.m.: Animal Adaptations
Thursday, November 14, 2019, 4 p.m. to 5 p.m.: Introduction to Animal Care
Thursday, January 2, 2019, 4 p.m. to 5 p.m.: Introduction to Zoo Veterinary Care
Thursday, January 9, 2019, 4 p.m. to 5 p.m.: Animal Signs & Tracking
Thursday, January 16, 2019, 4 p.m. to 5 p.m.: Living Dinosaurs
Thursday, January 23, 2019, 4 p.m. to 5 p.m.: Seeds (Farm to Table)
Thursday, January 30, 2019, 4 p.m. to 5 p.m.: Zoo Diets
- These programs require preregistration. Paperwork and payment are needed seven business days prior to your session.
- Reservations aren’t confirmed until paid in full.
- We will be outside for the duration of the program – please make sure all participants are prepared for the weather.
- In the case of inclement weather, every effort will be made to reschedule the program; session dates may be switched only if there is room to accommodate additional guests on the requested date.
- Please note: the address to use to reach The Zoo is 202 Trafton Road, Springfield, MA. The Sumner Ave. entrance is closed and will remain closed through November.