Learn what it's like to be a Zookeeper!
The Crew-in-Training (CIT) Program is a unique way for teens ages 14 – 17 to be a part of The Zoo Team! The program begins the last week of June and runs for 9 weeks through the summer. Crew-in-Training will gain valuable, hands-on experience of what a typical zoo keeper's day is like. We offer CIT's an opportunity to learn how our animal care program works as well as offer the chance to help in other areas of The Zoo such as Zoo Camp, special events and programs within our Education Department.
- Please come dressed appropriately as CIT's will be working outside all day
- Reservations are not confirmed until payment is made in full
- Please bring a bagged lunch (refrigerator will not be available)
- 14 – 17 years of age
- One year Zoo Camp or other summer zoo program is recommended (but not required)
- Ability to follow a daily work routine and safe working practices
- Public speaking experience is preffered as our CIT's will interact with the general public at The Zoo on a daily basis. They will learn to give accurate information about the animals and The Zoo
- Experience with raking, shoveling and using a wheelbarrow is essential
- Ability to lift at least 30 pounds
1 week, half day
(A.M.: 9 a.m. to 12 p.m. or P.M.: 1 p.m. to 4 p.m.)
1 week, full day (9 a.m. to 4 p.m.)
*Please note that CIT’s will be eating lunch from 12 p.m. to 1 p.m. each day with Zoo Camp.
Single shifts (A.M. or P.M.; subject to availability):
Members: Half day: $10 per shift
Nonmembers: Half day: $12 per shift
Members: Full day: $20 per day
Nonmembers: Full day: $24 per day
Please be aware that this program works on a first-come first-served basis. All registrations will be reviewed by our Education Department and our CIT Coordinator. Please call to confirm availibltiy for program dates you are interested in. If you have any questions regarding our new registration process, please feel free to reach out to Caroline Cay Adams via email or phone at 413-733-2251, ext. 305.
All paperwork must be filled out completely and submitted prior to the CIT's first session.
Open Daily: closed to closed
Weekends: 10:00am to 3:00pm
Seniors (Age 62+): $3.50
Children (Ages 1 to 12): $3.25