Are you interested in a career with animals? Do you love hands-on learning and working with others?
If so, the Keeper-in-Training Program is for you!
The Keeper-in-Training (KIT) Program is a unique way for teens ages 14 – 17 to be a part of The Zoo Team! Keeper-in-Trainings will gain valuable, hands-on experience of what a typical zookeeper's day is like, as well as offer the chance to help in other areas of The Zoo such as special events and programs within our Education Department.
- Please come dressed appropriately as KITs will spend most of their day outdoors.
- Reservations are not confirmed until payment is made in full.
- Please bring a bagged lunch (refrigerator will not be available). We recommend bringing a lunch with an ice pack or two.
1 week, half day
(A.M.: 9 a.m. to 12 p.m. or P.M.: 1 p.m. to 4 p.m.)
1 week, full day (9 a.m. to 4 p.m.)
Single shifts (A.M. or P.M. - subject to availability):
Members: Half day: $10 per shift
Nonmembers: Half day: $12 per shift
Members: Full day: $20 per day
Nonmembers: Full day: $24 per day
- This program was formly known as the Crew-in-Training Program (CIT program). We now also have a Counselor-in-Training Program (CIT) for those interested in working more closely with our Zoo Camp program.
- The Zoo will not process refunds for the KIT program unless accompanied by a doctor's note.
"I volunteered as a KIT (Keeper-in-Training) for The Zoo in Forest Park when I was thirteen years old. I remember learning about all the animals, especially the chinchillas and hissing cockroaches. I was excited about volunteering every day. Today, I am Wildlife Conservation Biologist and a Park Ranger with the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service at the Silvio O. Conte National Fish and Wildlife Refuge. I teach environmental education to the public. I know that my volunteer experience with The Zoo was a stepping stone to a career in natural resource education." - Tasha Daniels
Pre-purchased, timed tickets are recommended for ease of entry but no longer required to visit The Zoo.
Open Daily: closed to closed
Weekends: 10:00am to 4:00pm
Seniors (Age 62+): $7.00
Children (Ages 1 to 12): $5.00